[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What dielectricis the champion?

In a message dated 9/26/98 7:44:02 AM Mountain Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> so I'm wondering if you Super-slueths know of any exotic super
>  dielectrics both for AC and/or DC i.e. in K-value and HV breakdown
capacity?

Dan,  You obviously know about the virtues of teflon and, unfortunately, the
cost.  I was interested in one type of material that might fit the bill if it
is not cost prohibitive as well.  It is a polyimide that goes under the trade
name Kapton.  It seems to have all the right qualities, but have not tried it
yet.  I have some heating elements at work that seem to be the equivalent of
circuit board traces sandwiched between two sheets of Kapton, so it can take
some heat at least.  I can't give you any numbers for the dielectric
properties, but they seemed to be pretty good if I remember.
One thing to look for anyway.
Mike Hollingsworth