[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sparklength inquiry

I think there is an inherent problem with trying to measure
length/power:

> Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>

>   JohnF, Greg, Bart -
>
>   Apparently we all agree with the fact that the TC spark length is related
> to input power. However, we differ in how this relationship varies with
> power. For example the following listing compares the JohnF streamer sparks
> with the JHCTES controlled spark lengths.
>
>   Power Input     JohnF    JHCTES
>   680 W           42"      15"
>   2100 W          64"      35"
>   8400 W          128"     97"
>   10 KW           15'      9.3'
>   26 KW           25'      18.3'
>   33.6 KW         21'      23'
>   67 KW           31'      38'
>   109 KW          45'      55'
>   134 KW          42'      64'
>   538 KW          84'      180'

For example, I have got to a foot of airstreamers under repetitive
conditions with Ep around 0.6J and BPS=100  (= 60W!). Now, with just
1 BPS and 3.5J I can also get to one foot (=3.5W!).  I think there
needs to be an Ep spec and see what an increase in BPS can do with
that figure. A question then arises: can some coils do better at 3J
and 1BPS than others?  I am sure the answer is yes - in fact I know
it is having conducted the test. Those power figures I've given are
for a continuous input to whatever coil/capacitor configuration I
used. Be interested to hear other comments on this.

Malcolm
<snip>