[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Extended Stacking MOTs Not the way to go

Apologies to Reinhard, perhaps my diagrams were not explicit enough.

Your point (1) is well taken.  I did not mean to imply that a 2x insulation
overstress is always safe, I only say that IF IT IS, then this connection
will allow you to stack MORE MOTs with the SAME OVERSTRESS FACTOR.

Your point (2) is where we differ.  You are correct in your accounting of
the voltage rise up the stack.  However each MOT cares only about the
voltage between its primary, core, and secondary.  A MOT may be safely
operated at 1,000,000 volts as long as ALL of its parts are at the same
voltage, including the core.  I have been remiss in my diagram not to have
explicitly shown the core connections.  They could be left to float to
several kV but it would be better perhaps to fix them at a specific voltage.

Please see http://www.altair-dot-org/tesla.htm#motstack again.  I have added a
second diagram showing 4 MOTs stacked with NO overstress of the insulation.
All core connections are explicitly shown, and a total of 8 MOTs are used.
In fact, the secondary connections to the core are maintained.  IF a 2x
overstress is permitted, this could be a 16 MOT stack.  The same principle
may be applied to MOT stacks of any arbitrary number.

Your comment about the power handling problem is correct and the solution is
mentioned in the notes on both diagrams, there was just not enough room in
Win Paintbrush to show the extra MOTs.  Also, Jim Lux suggests using a high
power industrial dry transformer which could be substituted for the first
pair of MOTs.

Feel free to pick on me anytime, it keeps me honest !  Although I am the new
owner of a potential transformer, I certainly admire your MOT efforts and am
keeping a weather eye out for my own supply of MOTs to experiment with.

Will