[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solid state Secondary

From: 	Harri Suomalainen[SMTP:haba-at-cc.hut.fi]
Sent: 	Monday, January 05, 1998 9:02 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Solid state Secondary

>> Bylund also gives the equation for output voltage
>>
>> Vout = Vin / R * sqrt(L / C)

ie. Vout = Vin * Q

>> Thus like you I chose to maximise L and minimise R.

ie. maximize Q.

>> But Bylund also comments that the losses in the coil
>> are as nothing compared to Corona losses -
>>
>> My question is this could we do just as well winding
>> 2000 turns of 32 guage wire onto a 4" drain pipe or
>> whatever gives the same inductance.

You may try out transmission like theory based calculations. Too
lossy system will not
put out a lot of voltage according to calculations done like
described in "Vacuum tube
Tesla coils".

I guess Bylan is making an assumption that power is dissipated in
corona immediately
or something as absurd. The power in a solid state coil with a top
capasitance is actually
circulated in the coil for a while before the breakdown occurs, I
think.

Anyway, I'll not take what Bylan says granted. His design was so
poor, he suggested
an optinum system being a huge coil made of thin wire with almost no
top load etc.
I guess that's the only way that poor system did not break down. He
was happy to see
the system used for several minutes per run! I think his article in
Radio Electronics is
mostly crap and erratic as usual for Dylan's designs published in
that paper.

--
Harri Suomalainen
mailto:haba-at-cc.hut.fi