[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: oil for caps (fwd)

From: 	Ralph Down[SMTP:rjdown-at-fan-dot-net.au]
Reply To: 	rjdown-at-fan-dot-net.au
Sent: 	Friday, January 09, 1998 7:37 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: oil for caps (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Fellow Coilers.
I made the original post re SUNISO oil and its apparent effect of
increasing the expected capacitance of a stacked plate cap (aluminium
litho plates and polystyrene dielectric).
I was concerned that possibly my findings were in error, so I set up a
small test as follows:-
I built a very rudimentary cap consisting of 4 aluminium litho plates
7" x 5" separated with 3 sheets of polystyrene 1/16" thick.
The unit was taped together and the capacitance measured with a
Parameters 7060 multimeter as .000635 uF.
I then lowered the unit still connected to the multimeter into a
container full of Suniso 3GS refrigeration oil.
The capacitance steadily rose as the capillary action sucked the oil
between the plates to .000747uF. But stopped there due to air trapped in
the centre of each plate.
I dismantled the stacked plate and reassembled wet (painted each plate
with oil) and the measured capacitance was .000859uF.
This was only a quick and dirty experiment which you can all duplicate
with virtually no expense.  The results show quite clearly that the
Suniso 3GS oil does in fact increase the expected capacitance.  This
particular test did not show an increase of 100%, but never the less
there is an increase.
My original cap ((.02uF) - which should have been .01uF using the TESLAC
program) is still functioning and hasn't missed a beat in 2 years! is
used with 4 x 10kv 30mA neon trannies in parallel driving a 9" x 25"
secondary, with a 1/4" copper flat spiral primary - 9 turns tapped at
7.5 - produces 4 foot streamers consistently using a single spark gap
(brass coach bolts - about 1/4" gap).
Regards
Ralph Down
Keyboard Electronics