[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Location

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, January 10, 1998 5:46 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Cap Location

> Hmmm,
>  Mr. Cox says put the gap across the transformer, not the cap.
>  Mr. Couture says put the cap across the transformer, not the gap.
> I respect the opinion of both of these gentlemen, and my own experiences
> have been inconclusive either way. I can think of arguments for either
> method being superior.
>
> Anyone else have an opinion?  Discussion?

The operation of the primary circuit is of course the
same for either scheme.  However, the spark gap placement
has an _enormous_ impact on the charging circuit.

It is preferable whenever possible to put the _spark gap_
across the transformer, so that when the primary circuit
fires, the only voltage that gets kicked back to the xfmr
is the IR drop of the gap, rather than the full voltage
swing present on the primary capacitor.  This results in
at least a 10 to 1 reduction in the RF voltage thrown back
to the xfmr.

-GL