[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: coil power switch (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 08:21:30 -0800 (PST)
From: baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: coil power switch (fwd)

On 12 Jan, Tesla List wrote:

> <<
>  I am building a small (4") coil powered by a 9KV 30ma NST, all of
>  the primary circuit components will be enclosed in a box made of
>  plexiglass and wood.  My question is should I put the switch on the
>  enclosure or should it be remotely located in a separate box.  I
>  have not really noticed how this is set up except on the really
>  big coils.
>
>  Any suggestions?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Chris
>   >>
> Chris,
>
> I usually mount the main power switch, variac, current & voltage meters, etc.
> several feet away from the coil - well out of strike range.
>
> Ed Sonderman

I'll second that one. And a 4" coil is not as small as you might think.
After some major tweaking this weekend (added a new cap to the existing
one, and a second 12KV30ma Neon) my 3.5x10" coil is producing 18" arcs
regularly (those are the ones I could measure straight line to a strike
point, and some that appeared to go a bit beyond that point (but I can't
prove it).

--
--
Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical Center