[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Temperature to melt NST tar (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 98 19:09:31 EST
From: Gary Lau  13-Jan-1998 1851 <lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Temperature to melt NST tar

>From: Christopher Stone <stone-at-etak-dot-com>
>Two quick questions, hopefully with easy answers:
>What temperature does the tar in Neon transformers melt at?  How
>long should a transformer be cooked to repair the carbon tracks?

I can't give you a numerical answer but can share a bit relating to the
experience.  I cooked mine in an aluminum turkey roasting pan in a
covered Weber charcoal BBQ grill.  It took about 2-3 hours to melt to a
thick, mostly-liquid viscous state and could not possibly have been done
indoors in a controlled oven, due to the smell, if that's what you're
thinking.  I should add that the case leaked melted tar and was a pretty
horrible mess.  Since my goal was de-potting and re-potting in melted
vasoline, I can't comment on time to repair carbon tracks.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA