[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Acrylic Caps vs. Glass Caps!! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:03:50 -0800
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Acrylic Caps vs. Glass Caps!! (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Chris,

There's really no direct relationship between the dielectric constant
and dielectric loss.

Rather than rate LDPE, acrylic and glass on an arbitrary 1-10 scale, a
better way may be to compare the degree of "lossiness" between the
three. If we use LDPE as a standard of comparison (dissipation factor of
about 0.10 x 10^-3), then acrylic (PMMA) is between 220 and 500 times
lossier, and glass is between 225 and 1900 times as lossy as LDPE. So,
while you COULD say that acrylic is marginally better than glass, in
reality they are both comparatively lossy as dielectrics for Tesla Coil
caps. If you're going to put the time, effort, and $ into making your
own cap, wouldn't you want to get gthe best performance... especially if
the material cost was the same or less??

Safe cappin' to you, Chris!

-- Bert --