[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: synch gap question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:13:23 +0000
From: wysock-at-ttr-dot-com
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: synch gap question (fwd)

> Date:          Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:01:32 -0700 (MST)
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       synch gap question (fwd)
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Dear Tristan, all

The paper I gave before ITS was 1991.  Others on the list have
made many comments about what is the appropriate level of
a.c. power input where a coiler should consider a sync. rot. gap
in place of any kind of series static gap.  I have always liked the
idea of using static gaps with NST's as opposed to a rotary.  In
your post, you did not mention the amount of operating current,
so I have no idea if you are using a single 60 ma. unit or a number
of parallel connected NST's.  I have found, (from personal
experience,) that I always obtained superior performance from a
sync. rot. gap when I was using a non-saturable core transformer
where the load current was >200 ma.  This implies however, that
a series variable inductance (autotransformer as a series-
connected inductance,) along with an additional autotransformer
(connected as an autotransformer for variable voltage control to
the H.V. transformer input,) be utilized.  There is a symbiotic
relationship here; the two autotransformers, the non-current
limited H.V. transformer, and the DWELL angle of the RSG.  And
this relationship varies from one experimenter's setup and group
of components, to another.

You did not state why you wanted to go from your successful
static gap to a RSG, using a NST (one or more.)   I believe part of
the problem you are seeing is that since the NST(s) have a current
limiting shunt, and since they were designed to work into (more
or less) what you might call a "steady state" non-inductive load
(neon tubing,)  that when you try to use any form of "forced"
timed gap for the tank circuit, the NST(s) (to personify the
situation,) "Don't know how to handle that condition."

If you are really enamoured with the idea of using an RSG,
make it a high speed non-synchronous-type (where you are using
NST's for the power source.)  You won't exceed the efficiency of a
good static gap design, but you will have the "beauty" of an RSG
running your system.

As for my statements about a sync. rot. gap not firing on the peaks
of each 1/2 sine wave, that comment applies only to the non-
saturable core class of power supply transformers, supplying the
tank circuit with a.c. power.  For example, if you had a pole pig,
rated at 20 Kva, and you current limited its input to say, 12 Kva,
and you "fired" only on the peaks with your sync. rot. gap, you
would have a lot of wasted input power, and have lost a lot of
"time" not spent charging the tank caps to the highest usable
coulomb level for any instant of time.  If however, you rotate the
index (dwell) of the firing times of your gap in this instance, to
not fire directly on the sine wave peaks, but only along the rising
or falling skirts of the sine wave, then you will see more efficient
"power processing" i.e. more a.c. 60 Hz POWER in: more r.f.
current and higher r.f. voltage out.

Bill Wysock

Tesla Technology Research