[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: sync gap problems (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 21:42:40 EST
From: FutureT <FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE:  sync gap problems

Tristan,

I thought some more about your sync gap situation, and have a new
explanation:   I think that using static gaps, the gaps may have been
firing more than once per half cycle.  This would have put more power
into the system even at a lower voltage, and would have permitted the
use of a relatively small capacitor and narrow safety gap...which may
have been your original situation.

Now, using the sync gap, only one firing can occur per half cycle, so
the only way to obtain comparable power output is to 1)  use a larger
capacitor (if the neons can handle it), or  2) use a higher voltage by
widening the safety gap.

Your safety gap is firing now because the sync gap cannot fire as
early as the static gap was firing.  The static gap fired at a lower
voltage, but fired twice per half cycle.  The sync gap is delaying
the firing...and letting the voltage build higher...but it can't because
your safety gap is firing.  To prevent the safety gap from firing, you
are forced to adjust the sync gap phase to fire earlier...and then
you get limited voltage, and limited spark output (since the sync
gap can only give one firing per half cycle).   In my system that
used a 12kV, 30ma neon tranny, my cap was matched to the neon
in such a way that I obtained 32kV peak on the capacitor, and it is
this high voltage that allowed the coil to perform well.

Although I had no failures using this set-up, it may stress the neon
more than your static gap system does.  The alternative is to use
a larger cap if the neons can handle it.

I didn't proof-read this before sending...

Hope this helps,
John Freau