[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: [Fwd: High power Variacs]

From: 	Mike Harrison[SMTP:wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk]
Reply To: 	wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk
Sent: 	Friday, January 02, 1998 4:10 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: [Fwd: High power Variacs]

On Thu, 1 Jan 1998 12:00:11 -0600, you wrote:

>----------

If money isn't  problem, a company called Service Trading in Chiswick
(0181 995 1560) do a 10KVA (45A) variac for #300 - you could gang a
couple of these in parallel, on a common shaft or with bike sprocket
wheels/chain.
Another possibility might be to wind a tapped autotransformer, so you
adjust power by tap changing. Maybe you could cannibalise a big welder
- remove the secondary and add taps to the primary.
Another possibility might be to use a quantity of low-voltage mains
transformers, say, 12v battery starter/charger transformers with
primaries in parallel and secondaries in series, providing several
taps.
I doubt any solution will be cheap, as the metal alone in any
'surplus' solution will have a significant scrap value!

   _/ L_/  Mike Harrison / White Wing Logic / wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk  _/ L_/
 _/ W_/  Hardware & Software design / PCB Design / Consultancy  _/ W_/
/_W_/  Industrial / Computer Peripherals / Hazardous Area      /_W_/