[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measuring secondary voltage (fwd)

----------
From:  John H. Couture [SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, January 24, 1998 2:14 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Measuring secondary voltage (fwd)

  Jim -

  You will have to use more resistance for your dividers. A few years ago I
tested some voltage dividers to determine the secondary voltage of a small
TC (450 watts). I found that when the divider caused about 10 ua of load the
voltage drop was around 10 KV. This was with a 1000 meg divider.

    Vs = R x I = 10^9 x 10^-5 = 10 KV

  It is obvious that voltage dividers for Tesla coils are a big problem. As
Malcolm Watts said you need large coils. But even with large coils if the

  Vs = R x I = 10^9 x 5 x 10^-5 = 50 KV

  Greater loading only makes things worst. The Tesla coil puts out a high
sec Inst. voltage but not much RMS current.

  However, I did not pursue this very far. I will leave it up to other
coilers to do more research to find the secondary voltage.

  Maybe developing a curve and extrapolating will help.

  John Couture