[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Strange Spark Phenomena

----------
From:  Thomas McGahee [SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, January 29, 1998 8:17 AM
To:  Tesla List
Cc:  gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net
Subject:  Re: Strange Spark Phenomena

Gary,
Take a length of nichrome wire, attach it to two clip leads and turn up
the voltage. The center will be glowing red hot while the ends are dull.
Simple heat-sinking effects.

Your sphere is a heatsink. The place where the arc strikes is a heatsink.
I am assuming that you are drawing the arc to a grounded wire.

Besides the heat-sinking effect, there is also the increased heating
effect that comes from being surrounded by other hot objects. The
objects in the center will be much hotter than the objects around
the periphery.

I'm not saying these are necessarily the reasons for your strange
arcs. I do not know all of the conditions under which these arcs are
occuring. But I do know that at low powers you can see things that
are greatly masked at high powers. And vice versa.

Do the arcs exhibit the same peculiarities both when striking to a
ground and when just brushing out into the air? If they exhibit them
ONLY when arcing to a ground, then the above effects are probably
at work. If not, then something else is probably at work here.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee