[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RF destruction of caps and trannies

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Thursday, January 29, 1998 2:38 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: RF destruction of caps and trannies

Hi all,
          One of the strategies I am pursuing to make NSTs last in a
small commercial job will be to place the transformers physically
close to the main gap and do without chokes altogether, just
retaining some damping resistance and filter caps right at the
transformer terminals. Placing a safety gap at the transformer
terminals and observing the discharges suggests that energy stored in
stray inductances and chokes between the transformer output terminals
and the main gap when the main gap is conducting might be a
significant factor. The energies are low but the voltages are real
high. I will report on observations made with this when the system is
finally wired. A side benefit is that all voltages above mains are
bottled up in a shielded cabinet positioned right next to the coil.
The shielfing will be connected to the secondary ground as a strike
precaution.

Malcolm