[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnify Power?

----------
From:  Gregory R. Hunter [SMTP:ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, January 30, 1998 1:27 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Magnify Power?

Dear Coilers,

I've been reading the mail on the power magnifying properties of
Tesla coils.  The exchanges were a bit hard to follow, so I looked
up "magnify" in Webster's.  It said to magnify something is to make
it appear larger than it really is.  Is that what Tesla coils do?
Make electrical power (input) seem greater (at the output) than it
truly is?  I agree, the big sparks look fantastic, but the average
output power of a coil can't exceed its input power, no matter how
spectacular the sparks are.

I hope no one is suggesting that Tesla coils (or magnifiers) defy
the law of conservation of energy.  I would be very disappointed
if that's what all the power magnifier discussion was leading up to.

Greg

Not an Engineer in East Anglia, UK