[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Current Limiting

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Friday, January 30, 1998 6:41 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Current Limiting

to: Mike & Ed

We use a 12 ft. long coilwound resistive element with a 0.6 Ohm value in
series with our normal inductive reactance.  This small resistance has the
effect of smoothing the peak current flows during times of near or actual
core saturation.  The peak loads on a typical 5-6 kva unit hits nearly 10
times that value during initial cap recharging.  The primary culprit here
is the very low impedance value of pole xmfrs and potential xmfrs.  This
resistor makes a considerable difference in the relative "smoothness" of
operation of both the output spark and the RSG operation.  You can hear the
difference in a running system with and without the resistance element.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: Current Limiting