[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SIDAC better than an SCR?

The April issue of Popular Electronics has an article on pg. 38 entitled
"Super-Simple High-Voltage Circuit".  It discuses switching 120VAC into
any small step down transformer that has been "wired backwards".  It
goes on to discuss two ways of switching the 120VAC - an SCR based
circuit and a SIDAC based circuit.

The article describes a SIDAC as a silicon, bilateral, voltage-triggered
switch.  The SIDAC circuit appears to have a much lower circuit
component count, only requiring a resistor and capacitor to set the
phase at which the device switches.  The article goes on to say that
Motorola  MK series is rated at 20 Amps.  The ref part #'s are MK1V-115,
MK1V-125, MK1V-135.

I 'm no SIDAC authority - just regurgitating what I read in the
article.  Have any of you SCR guys looked into these?

Making arcs in Huntington Beach, CA
--
Ross Overstreet
ICQ# 20762411