[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MMC to be?

Ok, I'm thinking of building an MMC cap, but I'd like it if I could get
some feedback on my plans from those who have built them before I start.

My NST is 9kV at 30mA, so my target capacitance is going to be around
.009uF

What I'm wondering is whether I can use snubber capacitors.  The ones
I'm looking at are 3000VDC at .047uF.  This means I should only need 5
in series in order to get .0094, which is pretty close.  The string
would therefore be able to take 15000VDC, which is nearly 18% above the
peak voltage of the transformer.  I'm certainly overworking them, but
given that others have had success driving MMCs at peak AC=DC, I think
I'll be okay.

This means my TC cap will cost me about $20.00 total, and will be
extremely convenient.

Unfortunately, all of this seems a little too good to be true.
Please feel free to ruin my dreams before they mature!  Comments would
be greatly appreciated!

Adam