[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Success with PP Multi-Mini Cap

<< Original Poster: Adam <psycho-at-tradewind-dot-net>

> I might be a little out of line here, but it seems very possible, given the
> success stories and ease of construction/use/resuseabilty/etc that
> polypropylene MMC caps could become the new standard in TC caps, replacing
> the oh-so-fun motor oil drenched LDPE nightmares of days gone by.

Adam, all,

I agree that the MMC seems like a great way to make a homemade
TC cap.  If I was going to build a cap, I would definitely build the MMC.
I like the idea of having units in series, and I suppose the physical
size is rather small?  I don't remember if anyone mentioned the
overall physical size?  I get the impression that the price might be
higher than for a PE cap in oil though?  (depending on the price paid
for the individual caps of course)

> So, in the grand tradition of TC standards, wouldn't it be nice if someone
> wrote a general construction file?  You know, like instructions for basic
> design, availability of components, possible pitfalls, expected costs,
> design issues, areas for improvement, etc.

Some of this has already been discussed, and like anything else,
different folks have slightly different views on voltage capabilities,
etc.  As more folks build these caps, more will be learned about their
ultimate capabilities, etc.

> As you probably have guessed, I'd like to build an MMC cap, but I'd like to
> know more about them first.

It would be great if someone found
a surplus batch of these available somewhere and could make a bulk
purchase, at a below normal cost.  It would probably be a good idea to
put more effort into searching for good deals on these component
caps.  I suppose a lot of searching has been done already though.

John Freau