[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Spacing

<< Original Poster: Marius Grigoriu <compwiz-at-stratos-dot-net>

> Hopefully everyone can see this message. I have been having some
> problems sending to the list...
> Anyway, I would like to know how wide I can set the main and safety gap
> to squeeze the most power out of my coil without damaging the neon.
> Specs:
> 15kV, 30mA NST
 .0053uF capacitor (Thats calculated, it's probably a little higher in
> reality)
> Primary:
> "Saucer shaped"
> 7.5in inside diameter
> .25" wire diameter
> .25" spacing between wires
> angle is at 15 degrees

> Is there anything else you need to know?

> Thanks.
> Marius Grigoriu

Marius,

To squeeze the most out of an NST, the cap must be the largest
that can be tolerated, (probably .007uF, although .006uF seems to
give the same results), and  a synchronous rotary
usually helps.  You'll also need a large toroid of about 4" by 17" or
5" by 20".  I get 45" sparks from my coil, when I power it using
a 15kV, 30ma NST.

Using static gaps, wide spacings which are needed for the longest
sparks, tend to give erratic operation, and tend to destroy the NST.

John Freau