[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Hazardous radiation produced by a Tesla Coil?

Gamma rays, are BY DEFINITION emmited from dadioactive decay, they are NOT high
energy photons necessarily, look at co-60, probably the radiography industries
favorite source of gamma's emmits most of it's radiation at 1.3 Mev... It also
emmits some roughly 400 kev gammas, you can get x-rays with energies higher
than that from the gamma emmision of co-60 without trying too hard... It simply
happens that most gammas are relativly high energy, and in comparison x-rays
are relativly low... it doesn't have to be this way though... Thus, if a tesla
coil is not driving an accelerator, it CAN NEVER produce gamma radiation. The
creation of x-rays from a black body source, which you refer to from the curent
rise in the spark gap is true... I'll give you that much, but it's going to
take ALOT of energy to generate any 'x-ray' photons... I would be very
surprised if any coil ever built puts enough peak curent through the spark gap
to produce x-rays... If they did, it would be simply absorbed i the air though,
therefore it would not be a hazard... But I do admit, you were right on that
one...
Pyroguy
(Please ignore poor grammer I studied physics, not grammer!)