[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary size

Hi Jim,

>Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
>I have heard (not having done extensive experiments myself) that having
>diameter of the primary be comparable to the height of the secondary is
>good from a field distribution standpoint. HOWEVER, this probably
>applies to smaller table top coils, where the primary is serving as a
>counterpoise for the top load. Electrum had the primary inside the
>secondary, for instance. It is probably more an issue of coupling and
>insulation (preventing arcing from primary to secondary).

I fully agree.

>The coupling issue is, in turn, an issue of charging currents
> for the primary circuit  (more current means you can use
> higher coupling)

Why? I would think it is the other way around (for the same
coil). Meaning for a given coil setup, the more primary current
I have flowing, the less I can couple. Otherwise I get turn to
turn flashovers, esp. if my topload is small (i.e the secondary
runs "too unloaded") Or am I missing something here?

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard