[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measuring inside a coil

  Reinhard, All -

  I was not thinking of bringing wiring into the sphere from outside. The
wiring from the sensor inside the coil would run to inside the sphere and
instrumentation which would be energized by batteries. No outside wiring.
The sphere would have to be large enough to contain a person. The question is
would the wiring going from the inside of the coil to the sphere nullify the
protection of the sphere as a Faraday gage? It is assumed the secondary coil
insulation is adequate. Could an induced electric field from the coil and on
the instrument wiring be a hazard to a person in the sphere?

 Your question about the safety of someone inside the secondary coil is an
interesting one. This is not a Faraday gage so the conditions are obviously
different. In fact the conditions are similar to when linemen work on high
voltage lines that are energized. However, inside the coil the person would
be exposed to electric fields with large voltage differences and this
condition would exposed the person to very high risk. Not recommended. It
would be a challenge to map the electric and magnetic fields inside the
secondary coil.

  John Couture