[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measuring inside a coil

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: NickandSim-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi All,
>          The monster vdg pair which the boston sci museum has used to be used
> as a particle accellerator.  Each sphere was 4MV either + or - and an 8MeV
> accellerator was strung between them.  In each sphere there were scientists
> operating the accellerator.
> The filament, instruments cloud chamber magnets etc. were powered by large
> batteries to get around having to put power feeds up to the spheres.
>
> Nick Field

Nick,

Not quite right.  I recall reading in the paper I have by Van de Graaff
and colleagues describing the Round Hill Generator that they actually
placed a generator rated at several kW up in each of the the sphere
laboratories driven by the shaft of the upper belt pulley to supply
local 'elevated potential' mains power upstairs for the experiment gear.
Only the scientists themselves were powered by batteries.  : )

Robert W. Stephens