[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: main caps and rsg's vs static gaps

<<
 3) with reference to rsg's , this implies from my point of view anyway
> that for part of the input waveform there would be insufficient voltage
> across the sparkgap to initiate a firing. i.e. instead of charging for a
> full half wave there would be multiple chargings/firings per half cycle
> - what happens near the point where the waveform passes through zero
> potential?

Robin,

Basically, with a small cap, you can charge it faster and more easily
than a large one, so it will be able to fire more times per half cycle.
This can happen with a static or a rotary gap.  Near the zero crossing
area of the waveform, some firings are simply skipped.  Thus the true
break rate of a 400 BPS rotary might actually be 300 BPS or so, and
will depend of electrode spacings, current and voltage capability of the
set up, etc.

>  My apologies for what may seem basic questions, I would sincerely like
> to thank the many contributors to the list as you have already saved me
> countless wasted hours on a project I have spent a long time on already.

No apologies necessary, they're good questions anyhow.

John Freau