[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NSTs and Cap Charging, more tests

<<
> I also made the same kind of test using the .0147uF larger-than-
> resonant-sized (LTRS) cap and
> it never drew more than the NST rated 360 watts at 120 volts input,
> again, power increased quickly as the input voltage was raised over
> 120 volts.  Again I'll have to recheck for other phase positions to
> verify that no positions can draw more than 360 watts at 120 volts
> input.  But again, i know the spark was never strong at 120 volts
> input.

> John Freau >>

All,

Adding to my post here, I did some more tests:

These tests attempt to look at the differences between watts and
VA inputs with static gaps and NST's.

Using .0077uF with (15) .008" gaps, I obtained 24" weak sparks.
The system drew 380 watts, and 480VA at 120 volts input.  It drew
600 watts, and 960VA at 140 volts input.  With wider gaps 0.168"
total, power went up to 560 watts, and 600VA, at 120 volts input.
I didn't try wider gap spacings.

Then using .0147uF and 0.168" static gaps, the TC drew 600 watts,
840VA at 120 volts input. (low firing rate was heard).  With narrower
gaps, (15 x 0.008" or .12") TC drew 360 watts, 540VA, at 120 volts.

So these above results basically agree with the general trend of
findings that Richie presented in his post.

Next I re-installed the sync gap with the .0147uF cap, and found that
at a certain sync gap phase, the system drew 1050 watts, 1344VA,
at 120 volts input, and gave 12" sparks.  This is of course using an
improper sync phase setting, but it does illustrate that the large cap
can draw lots of power from the 12kV, 30ma NST.

At a different, but still incorrect sync phase setting, the TC drew
900 watts, 1440VA, at 120 volts input, and gave no spark output.
Still another sync phase adjustment position drew 100 watts,
240VA, at 120 volts input, and no spark output.  At higher variac
settings of 145 volts input, the spark increased along with wattage
and VA, as described in previous postings.

With a proper sync phase setting, the TC draws 640 watts, 710VA,
at 140 volts input to the 120 volt, 360 watt rated, NST.

The only test left to do is to try a small cap (.0038uF) with a static
gaps and higher break rate, but I'll be surprised if I get even 24"
sparks.

John Freau