[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Current peak from MMC

Hi Finn.

If you look at the MKP 375 characteristics, don't forget to have a look to the
CAPACITANCE:

a MKP 375 rated for 2 kV has got 30000 V/us  dV/dT but only in models up to
2700
pF (yes, pF!). Models up to 0.01 uF have got dV/dT = 10000 V/us and models
up to
0.022 uF drop down to 6700 V/us.

The MMKP 376 (which is MY CHOICE)  rated for 2kV is available with all
values up
to 0.033 uF and for ALL values Philips ensures a dV/dT > 10000 V/us.

So the choice is a compromise between the rated voltage, desired capacitance,
space available and pocket size. For instance a 0.022 uF 2 kV MMKP 376 wins the
same MKP 375 for offering a higher dV/dT.

By the way, the formula I sent in my last mail for calculating the substained
current is from Philips and contained in their capacitor Databook.

Another thing to try is the BHC Aerovox capacitors that Farnell sells with code
number 783-110, 783-122, etc. They are "designed to protect IGBT modules
against
large voltage transients", metalized PP, df 0.1% -at- 1kHz.

For instance the 0.47 uF 1600V is rated 850 V/us 400A peak , 17 A Irms. They
cost each about $12 (Farnell) and a "big": that 0.47 uF 1600V is about 4 x
3 x 4
cm and big terminals.

I purchased myself 5 of them to build a 0.1 uF 5 kV DC capacitor for testing my
capacitor charger switcher. I don't know, will I ever test them as a primary TC
capacitor....

Bye

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 12.04.99 00:06:04