[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rolled PE Caps

I have to disagree with you here Reinhard. At least from my experience,
The heavy duty foil works very well without corona flashover. I didn't
round off the corners. The creasing can be kept to a minimum by having a
helper hold the bottom layer of poly as the cap is being rolled, and I
did use aluminum strapping for my terminals.

Yes, they are a bit fragile, so you have to handle carefully. But by
cutting a length 36" long (heavy duty Reynolds wrap), folding that in
half (18" now), then folding it over and over on itself in about 3/4" -
1" wide laps, you come up with an easy to make terminal. I only
connected with a couple pieces of tape before I rolled cap, the pressure
of the tight roll, plastic ties, and the swelling of poly in oil has
created a nice cap with no problems to date. The holes for the terminals
can be made with a punch or sharp drill bit.

This is an inexpensive and easy to make solution for beginning coilers
on a tight budget.

It doesn't compare to yours or Gary's beautiful MMC's, but it's a great
way to get started. I think I had about $50-$60 total investment for
three caps at .033uF each, wired in series.

Sparkin'
Bob Volk