[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: rotary gap question (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 10:37:55 EDT
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: rotary gap question

<< Chris, John,

> In addition, a rotary gap must be used once the primary supply current gets
> much over 150 ma.  I used a cylindrical static gap with a 12 kv 120 ma neon
> sign transformer supply and it performed well.  With a 5 kva 14.4 kv
> distribution transformer, the static gap would not quench (as in go out)
> regardless how much ballast I tried in the primary control circuit.  I then
> built an asynchronous rotary gap and it worked fine.  I have read comments
> from others that the upper limits of a static gap are around 1.5 kva to 2.0
> kva.  Comprssed air or vacuum quenched static gaps should take this limit
> some higher number but I have no direct experience with those.

> Ed Sonderman

Ed, Chris,

The Werner Heise TC used a single static gap with an air blast for
quenching.  The coil operated at 200kVA, and the gap fired about 3 -
12 times per cycle, depending on the gap spacing.  The spark
output was 7 to 9 meters.  Overall efficiency was low.

Gary Weaver has posted about a TC he built that gave about 10 foot
sparks, using a static gap.  I forget the exact input power, but I
suppose it was about 11kVA.  I'm just posting this from memory,
so my details might not be 100% correct regarding the Gary
Weaver TC.

John Freau