[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NST power factor (tests) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:19:10 EDT
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: NST power factor (tests)

Malcolm, all

I had only made a very quick test previously of pfc vs. no pfc.  Most
of the tests had the 50uF pfc cap in place.

I did some new tests which show a large effect due to presence of
the pfc cap, still using the 12kV, 30ma NST and sync gap.

LTRS (larger than resonant sized) cap = 0.0147uF
Resonant (res) cap = 0.0077uF
power factor correction (pfc) cap = 50uF

   Volts In       Watts    VA      cap       pfc    spark inches
                    (using wrong sync phase)
      168           700      1390   LTRS     yes         25
      168           700      1800   LTRS     no           25
                      (different sync phase)
      154           640       720     LTRS    yes         42
      154           640      1008    LTRS     no          42
                        (different sync phase)
      140           640       768       res      yes         42
      140           640      1080      res        no         42
                        (different sync phase)
      120           740       864       res        yes       42
      120           740      1032      res         no        42

Cheers,

John Freau