[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Not shooting for anything gloriuous, but... (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:37:43 +0100
From: "Gregory R. Hunter" <ghunter-at-accucomm-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Not shooting for anything gloriuous, but...

Yuri,

What are you planning to use for a power supply?  That will determine what
size & type of capacitor to use.  In a spark excited coil, capacitors made
from plastic bottles tend to fail quickly.  Try using no-refund glass beer
bottles wrapped with foil and filled with very strong salt water.  A
plastic champagne cork or a plastic bottle cap with a long rod or bolt
through it will serve as the inner electrode.  Also, float an inch of
mineral oil or motor oil on top of the salt water to prevent corona and
evaporation.  By the way, none of this info is from me--I learned it all on
the Tesla List!

Greg