[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: frequency (fwd)

Marius,
<SNIP>
> Again, I am posting to learn, so if I'm wrong, don't get mad :)
>
> The whole idea of the spark gap and capacitor is to convert those 60 or
50 cycles
> to RF current so it can resonate with the secondary. If you have a
current source
> of the right frequency, you should be able to take it directly to the
primary,
> skipping the gap.
>
> Am I correct in my statments?
Yes.

In the early days of wireless transmission, alternators were constructed
which could put out RF frequencies directly up to about 50 kHz at many KW
power.  If you had one of these, you could drive an air core step-up
transformer (aka Tesla Coil) directly.  Any other source of RF will also
work, and many have built tube and transistor powered TCs successfully.
Search the archives and the Tesla Web sites to see many examples of these.

Spark gaps just happen to be simple, rugged, reliable, cheap and effective
means for producing RF oscillations.  And there is also the audience appeal
of loud noise, bright arcs and mechanical ingenuity, especially from a
rotary spark gap.

--Steve