[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Just wonderin' (fwd)

<< What is the best combination of Voltage/Amperage for a NST?
> Higher Voltage=?
> Higher Amperage=?

Christopher,

Higher voltage is better because the tank losses might be lower.  Also,
it's easier to build a reliable gap system for higher voltages, with less
concerns about static gap clogging, etc.  Of course either will work
well.  From a practical standpoint, if you only have a low voltage cap,
then use low voltage.

> I have a couple NST's and am wondering what would be best for a TC.
> I have a 7.5 KV -at- 100mA up to 15KV -at- 30mA so I've got quite a range.
> What is the safety margin on the sec voltage? could I paralell them?
> Just wonderin' I'm trying not to make an expensive mistake that I'm
> sure 20 or more others have already made.

The NST's should only be paralleled if they're rated identically.

> Also..on a safety note.
> We've just gotten a set of High Voltage gloves (gauntlets) from the
> local power company and I can't say enough about them. They're great.
> We built a few Jacob's ladders to test the new NST's and it's great
> to be able to adjust the electrodes without turning the power off.
> The gloves are rated to 50KV so we've get quite a safety margin.
>   I don't know about using them with a TC givin the differance in
> freq. They were designed for 60hz and I don't have the cojones to try
> them at millions of volts of high freq. (I put skin-effect in the
> same catagory as Autorotation...great idea, bad plan) I'm not willing
> to risk self-defribulation on it. MAybe I'm just a wus, but I'm a
> LIVE wus.

My feeling about safety gloves is let the power company use them,
I like my power to be OFF when I'm working on the coil, or any HV
equipment.  The power company may *need* to work with the power
on, we don't.  Suppose the gloves develop some sort of weak spot
or flaw?

Not risking electrocution in NJ,
John Freau