[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: For maximum spark length/maximum reliability is larger thanresonant cap ...

<<
> From what I have gathered a LTRC hold s the same amount of energy at a lower
> voltage and so gives similar arc
> lengths to a resonant cap but at a lower voltage.
> Is this correct or is energy transfer more efficient at resonance?
> I have a 3 NST 15kv 120ma power supply which my CRO indicates resonates
with >a 25n cap.

David,

You're correct, there's nothing special about resonance.  If fact the
efficiency in my tests was a little better without resonance.

> I am finishing off a flat plate in oil cap with 1 inch poly margins around
the
> Al foil plates.

> Should I build it to resonate or bigger for maximum arc & reliability?

I would guess that reliability would be better with the LTRC, but I did
get good reliability with resonance too.

> If bigger, how much bigger & why is this so?

I used a size that was about double the resonant size.  I also tried a
cap 1.5 times the resonant size, but I like the double resonant better.
I didn't try any other sizes.  I think Terry and Gary have mentioned
some work with larger than double sized caps

One operational difference with the LTRC is the input voltage had to be
raised to more than 120 volts to obtain the same spark length as when
using the resonant cap at 120 volts input.

John Freau