[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The demonic Rotary spark gap

Alright....I yeild. I shall attempt to build a rotary gap.

I've seen a design for one on the Tesla Research site...I believe
it's in the pics for the Model 8 or 12. It looks like a motor
spinning a 10 or 12" phenolic disk with about 8 electrodes mounted
around the periphery. There's an electrode with terminal at either
side on the back (motor side) of the disk. And a shorting bar with
electrodes across the front of the disk.
This looks to be the simplest type of rotary I've seen and I can
build one (after finding the right electrodes) in a couple hours.
Here's the rub...
1 is it syn or a-sync? Which is better? Why?
2 Electrode material? Brass, Tungsten? (For the 4th of july I was
thinking Magnesium ;-))
3 What size disk, electrode, spacing, how many...etc ad nauseum..
4 What effect will speed have on coil operation...faster/slower?
5 What is the target speed for the motor? Should I make it a DC servo
with tight speed control? Or a constant speed AC and just plug it in?
6 Will 2" Lexan be a good shield ? Should I have a single plate as a
shield or totally enclose this and have an air pump to keep the
oxides from tinting the glass.

The Coronaphile

Christopher A. Boden
The Geek Group