[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Webpage & twin coil question

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Mad Coiler" <tesla_coiler-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> 3)  Has anyone ever used a 12V inverter to power a coil? This whole
> project is for a portable twin coil I would like to build to run of a
> lead-acid battery. I wonder though how an inverter will hold up to the
> noise. Of course you could probably filter it a lot.

Wel sorta.  I use a Tripplite 1000 watt inverter to run a TIG welding arc
stabilizer which is nothing more than a small tesla coil.  It works OK
except....  When the RF really gets flying, it can crash the inverter.
This inverter uses a 555 timer to generate a 60 hz square wave that drives
a large bank of bipolar transistor array.  The blocking oscillator type
might be more RF-resistant but they are typically less efficient.  Most of
the lightweight, high power inverters sold today use high frequency PWM to
synthesize 60 hz pseudo-sine wave.  These may be more sensitive to RF,
depending on how they are designed.

Remember, however, that by the time inverter losses are taken into
account, a 1000 watt inverter draws over 100 amps from the 12 volt
supply.  Not real practical unless you do like I did and put an ambulance
alternator (200 amp) on your truck.

Seems to me a more productive method of using battery power would be to
rewind the primary of a microwave oven tranny and drive it directly.
Should only take a few dozen turns.  Just get the same amper-turns and
you're in the ballpark.  If you use 'H" drivers, you can get effectively
twice the voltage than if you go center-tapped.

John

--
John De Armond
johngd-at-bellsouth-dot-net