[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Caps...insidious caps

I know there's some kind of formula for this but I can't figure it
out and you guys can do this in your sleep....

What is the required/recomended cap size and values for...

1. Project 1.. a 15KV 30mA NST powering a 4"X25" secondary to produce
the largest possible discharge.

2. Thor.....a 5 or 10 KVA Pig (14.4KVAC?) into a big coil (does the
sec. size matter? we have 2 options)

Also...

I've seen coils wound with copper strip (as big as 4") laid vertical
for the primaries...I would think this is the best possible
setup..better than tubing. But wouldn't the shape of the primary
conductor (a vertical strip helix) promote arcing and corona loss
with the thin edge?
As I would understand it direct arcs to the primary are a Bad Thing
but this would seem to be much more efficiant.

Just had an epiphinae...or an apostophe...one or the other...

What about an Air core (dielectric) cap? I have HUGE amounts of space
for this project (dedicated rooms and all that) what about 2 sets of
stacked plates (maybe as big as 3'X3'X1/4") arranged on edge with
Lexan holders or something. In the event of breakdown it would just
arc across the plates and everything would be cool.
This would be the single most indestructable type of cap I can think
of. The biggest problem would be stabilising the plates to keep them
from touching, this I can do. Anybody know what size and how many
plates I would need and what to make them out of?
Has anybody ever done this before? Did they live?
This could be really cool...finally an indestructable cap....with
it...I could RULE THE WORLD (cue evil laughter). Well.....maybe at
least impress a girl....yeah, that works.
Have fun guys, and don't get dead.

Christopher A. Boden
The Geek Group
344 Ionia SW