[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: frequency (fwd)

Brent

What about solid state/tube coils? they use no spark gap - the high power
oscillator drives the primary tank at the right frequency. I would only say
that
the spark gap helps to stop HF energy from the secondary from being
absorbed in the
primary tank when the gap quenches. This is why tube coils are so much less
efficient - the primary tank is never 'open circuit' and thus energy will be
dissipated both in primary and secondary circuits. If we could find a
better way to
'bang' the primary and shut off all that huge current flow (and withstand
kickbacks) within a few uS with tubes or solid state switches (maybe next
century!)
then we could do away with our SGs. For the time though, the SG is the most
robust
and fast, and *noisy* switch we can find....

Alex