[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: baby sparks

<<
> I just wanted to tell us that I tested my first tesla coil this evening.
> It is powered by a NST 12KV 30ma and I got 1' sparks (a little under 1') I'm
> sure it sounds quite small for all of you, but it was my first TC, and I am
> very proud of it...

> I would like to thank all the people on this list who helped me, it was very
> kind of you guys... Can you give me some advice to get longer sparks... For
> example, I have 3-4 streamers firing at the same time... How can I get only
> one (bigger toroid or replace the toroid by a small sphere???) What about
> the gap setting???

> Thank you for your help

> Sam

Sam,

Congratulations on getting the coil going.  Yes, a larger toroid or
proper sized sphere can reduce the output to just one streamer.
You can widen the gaps to get longer sparks, but this might destroy
the NST.  I can send you my design that gives 42" sparks from
a 12kV, 30ma NST if you'd like, (and if you don't already have it).

John Freau