[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lexan caps

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "SEBASTIAN R GAETA" <SGTPORKY-at-prodigy-dot-net>
>
> Hi all,
> I see a lot of Lexan used in the power supply industry used as a
dielectric. Is
> this stuff good to use in the construction of Tesla capacitors or is it too
> lossy? Is this a plastic that is known by another name alltogether in the
Tesla
> circle?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rocky

Rocky,

While Lexan (also known as Merlon, polycarbonate, or PC) is an
excellent, high strength plastic, it is comparatively lossy when used as
a capacitor dielectric at RF frequencies. Polycarbonate is about 80-125X
"lossier" than Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE), so a significant amount
of energy will go into heating the dielectric instead of into your
streamers. PC is also considerably heavier, more expensive, and thicker
sheets are suitable only for flat plate capacitors, and its dielectric
strength is excellent. I'd recommend sticking with LDPE or PP unless you
get the PC for free...

-- Bert --