[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Help PLEASE! So close.. and yet...

Well, I fired up my "not shooting for anything glorious" coil for the
first time. I had a problem. The transformer, capacitor, spark gap,
and whole tank circuit work perfectly. Real nice, cool sounding
sparks in the gap, everything perfect. Only one slight detail - the
secondary coil and discharge terminal did nothing. Absolutely
nothing. I tried grounding the bottom to a well, and then directly to
the house ground, to no avail. In case it helps: The power supply is
7500 volts at 30 milliamps(that's 220 watts). The capacitor is a
leydan jar of an unknown capacitance. The primary is about five turns
of really big fat copper stuff. As I said, that all works fine. The
secondary is 30 AWG enamled magnet wire (the really thin red stuff -
it was all I had) wound about 3/4 the height of a thin untreated
cardbord wrapping paper tube (2 inches diameter). A softball wrapped
nice and smoothly in aluminum serves as the discharge terminal. What
is wrong? Is the cardboard conducting all the RF? Is the wire fatally
thin? Help, please!

-Yuri Markov, would-be coiler

Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn-dot-com