[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil success on first big run - thanks everyone

Mike

I am using one 10kV 100mA NST from Tunewell in London, in an oil bath. I
will be putting a second one the same in when I get it back from the
factory where they're replacing the secondaries (I blew them because
I was testing without immersing them in oil).

I am now operating at my parent's house for a few weeks (a) for a
holiday amd (b) to avoid the complaints of flatmates/neighbours. I still
have no good RF ground though, so every time I run I set up a
counterpoise underneath the coil which is a 'star' of several-foot
lenghths of Alu foil. I ground my coil to this, then connect this to the
water tap in the garage for safety. The counterpoise will form of good
virtual earth and deal withmost of the HF stuff while the tap helps to
stop me being shocked.

Oh, and yes I will be showing the thing off at Corby! Look forward to
seeing you there if you're coming!

Alex