[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question to european coilers

Hi Sam,

>Original Poster: "Samuel Rosset" <samr-at-chez-dot-com>
>
>Even if I've just finished my first coil, and if I'm not planing to
build
>another one right know, I'm considering building a more powerful one
once
>I'll be back in Switzerland... (I live in KS right now...)
>
>Well, the purpose of this mail is to ask the European coilers what kind
>power supplies are disponible in Europe, for as far as I remember, I
haven't
>seen a lot of Neon signs in Switzerland, and we do not use pole pigs...
So
>as I will leave the US in 1.5 months, I am wondering if it is worth
finding
>NST here and bring them back with me (But the problem is : It is very
>heavy...) Or, is it easy to find a power supply for TC in Europe????

I gather KS means Kansas (USA) and not Kassel (germany)... :o)?
Personally, I donīt think it is worthwhile lugging back pounds of
U.S. NSTs. Why not? Well, here are my reasons (in no particular
order):

1.) The primary voltage difference (110 vs 220). The means you will
     need at least two and they can only be used in pairs (in case you
     want to use more than two).

2.) In Germany you CAN find NSTs. While they will be 8kV or less, this
     doesnīt make much difference in performance. I am using a single
     7.5kV/75mA NST right now and am getting 125cm (50") sparks. While
     a lot of coilers say the higher the input voltage, the better
     (because of reduced losses in the gap and primary), I wouldnīt
     necessarily agree that high voltage is the only way to go. The
     T-coil might need more thoughts on construction, but it can be
     done w/o HV (relatively speaking) xformers.

3.) Availabilty. If you kill one NST, you automaticlly reduce your input
     VA by two xformers, because of the difference in primary voltage.
     Unless you kill two or more, you wonīt be able to repair them
     (exchange coils, etc) either.

4.) European NSTs come open frame (no potting) and with an adjustable
     shunt. This means you donīt have to "enjoy" the vigors of
     unpotting.

5.) Current capabilty. From what I have read, (while I didnīt try this
     with the 15kV/30mA NST, which I used in USA, to build my first
     coil) U.S. NSTs donīt seem to like the removal of too many
     shunts (in order to increase the current). My 7.5kV NSTs can
     deliver in excess of 340mA (75mA rated) w/o RIPping (all shunts
     removed. See my earlier post to the list on this). They will get
     pretty warm doing so, but they will survive. You can still touch
     them after a 20 min run on a Jaccobīs Ladder. If I limit the
     current of these units to ~180-200mA (shortend shunts installed),
     they donīt get warm at all. The core size of german NSTs is a huge.
     My 75mA unit is a little bigger (!) than a still potted (!)
12kV/120mA
     U.S. unit.

6.) Switzerland: While you might not find pole pigs there, I know of
     several coilers using (single phase) 1:160 PTīs. They are dry
     insulated units that are rated for 125kV BIL. The weigh around
     47kg (104lbs) and are (under) rated at 1kVA. Pushing them to
     2.5kVA is no problem. Even higher for short runs. As you will
     need two (series/parallel arrangement), you can easily make
     yourself a 5-6kVA setup. I have been offered a set of these and
     the only reason I (had to) decline was because of the high cost
    of shipping them from Switzerland to Germany. S&H was about
    twice the price of the xformers themselves....... (:o(#!(.

I hope none of the U.S. coilers are shocked  or angered over my
comments about U.S. NSTs. On the other hand, every high powered
coiler goes for PTs or pole pigs (which is something I simply canīt
find in germany. At least not in single phase and under 50kVA
form. *#~#°^^!) anyway, right?

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard