[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fw: frequency (fwd)

Bob,

Tube coils are basically CW oscillators - if you continuously apply
power, they will continuously oscillate. If you drove a tube coil from a
DC power source, it will operate as a true CW oscillator, converting the
DC power to continuous RF power. A tube-driven Tesla Coil operated off
pure DC will have a flame-like CW discharge that is either silent (low
power), or hisses at higher power levels, similar to a high voltage
corona discharge. A high-power solid-state or tube coil driven from a DC
power source has been sometimes described as sounding like the
"blowtorch from Hell"... :^)

Most tube coils built today are powered from unfiltered half-wave DC
(i.e., the tube oscillates only on the incoming mains positive
half-cycles), full-wave rectified DC, or voltage-doubled DC. In order to
get longer discharges, higher power systems are sometimes briefly pulsed
"on" at a low duty cycle to generate high RF peak power while the
average power (and plate dissipation) is kept within the tube's power
handling capability. Because of the on-off modulation of the tube CW
oscillator, discharges from these systems will "buzz", "pop", or "snap"
at the mains frequency (half-wave), 2X the mains frequency (full-wave),
or at the incoming pulsing rate.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Robert Volk <smrtmny2-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> I have both those books, and agree, the book of patents is a steal for
> that price. I was just unsure as to *why* he worked with high freq.
> generators, thanks for the concise answer.
> So then, are the tube coils CW as well? Being such does that mean they
> broadcast in a narrower band of frequency?
>
> Thanks, Bob Volk
<SNIP>