[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_Finally_got_around_to_sync=B4ing_my_async?= motor

SNIP

Subject: Finally got around to sync“ing my async motor

Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>

Having heard from a few coilers (Gary Lau being one of them),
that induction motors, modified this way, might not always start
up in every armature position, I turned the rotor in 10°
incrediments and applied power. It started up every time.

Gary:
Are you using a capacitor start motor or a centrifugal
switch start-up unit? Maybe cap start motors don“t
apply enough juice to the starting windings on modified motors
(this is the only difference I can think of) with the original cap.

So, now "all" I have left to do is build my SRS gap. Updates will
follow as construction continues........

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard
<

Hello Reinhard,All
    I have just done almost exactly the same as you, re Motor from Junk yard
1/3hp 50Hz 1450rev/min (£10).
Mine however has a capacitor and centrifugal switch.  The start winding is
in series with the switch and 75uf capacitor.  I modified it with 4 flats
and it sync's fine.  Because my RSG is driven via a synchronous belt from
the motor and the kick on start-up is so hard, I bring mine up using a
variac.

Unfortunately I have just destroyed my NST using it :-(
By the way my NST is Italian and potted.

Regards

Viv Watts UK