[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Torroid

Not a dumb question at all, George.

When you build your toroid, cut a circle out of 1/4" masonite. I figured
out what the inside dia. would be, formed and taped the ends of the
ducting into a circle, then press fit the center piece in. Use a few
pieces of tape to hold it on both sides (keep it from popping out), then
tape with aluminum ducting tape (Home Depot - $3.00 a roll). I sprayed
adhesive on my masonite and attached heavy duty foil on both sides, then
used aluminum tape to connect to toroid. I also covered toroid with
tape.

After it's built, drill a 1/4" hole in the center. Take your high
voltage lead from your secondary, sand enamel off approx. 1", use a
hammer and steel plate and flatten the end of this lead. Cut 2 strips of
brass or copper sheeting 1"X 2" and drill a hole in centers. Take one
brass strip and solder the flattened lead onto it. Now you're ready to
attach toroid.

Hold toroid up to secondary. Insert a bolt through the brass plate with
wire soldered to it, through the hole in the toroid, put the other brass
plate on the top side, then screw a wingnut tightly on the whole
assembly. Place the toroid on top of secondary and you're ready to fire
it up.

I use this method. I can quickly interchange among my three toroids,
change the height of the toroid, or remove it completely and attach the
lead to other paraphanelia I experiment with.

There are other ways, but this one works well for me.

Good luck!
Sparkin'
Bob Volk