[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neon earthing

In a message dated 4/27/99 2:38:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi All,
>      Having just destroyed my beloved Neon of 2 years use with my new rotary
>  I've been seeking a new Neon.  Today I bought a 5KV-0-5KV 120ma Neon for
£40
>  ($60).  However when I got it home I find although the plate on the outside
>  said it was 10Kv it actually only had one 5KV tap and ground the other
being
>  plugged up.  I could get another one or might be able to get a correctly
>  plated one.  However the earth terminal to the high volt side is permanent
>  and unlike my previous one cannot be disconnected.  I always ran my
previous
>  Neon un-earthed.  The question is can I use a centre tapped Neon which is
>  grounded?
>
>  regards
>
>  Viv Watts UK

Viv,

If I understand correctly, you basically have a center tapped (tied to the
case) neon sign transformer with only one H.V. bushing.  I would get another
one and connect the primaries in the proper phase to get 10 kv across the two
H.V. bushings and tie the cases together and to the main RF ground that the
bottom of the secondary is connected to.

Ed Sonderman