[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Brain fry...

In a message dated 4/26/99 9:14:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  This is what I have....
>  1: A mixture of secondaries, all 24" X 6" 20AWG on PVC (green)
>  2: 2 NST's either 15KV-at-30 or 12KV-at-30
>  3: Asource for caps rated 1250VDC and 224K
>
>  This is the question.
>  What is my required capacitence? How many and in what configuration
>  do I need to make a healthy MMC?
>  How much can I overenginner it? How do I do it?
>
>  I've consulted everything from MATH.txt to the oracle at
>  Delphi...after getting a healthy case of brain fry I figured I'd fire
>  out a post to the list. There are some of you who can do these
>  equations in your sleep. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>  Also, what do I use for the main I/O to the MMC? I would assume
>  running them into a bus bar.
>      Size is of no importance, the bigger and uglier this this is the
>  better. I just want it to work well and have a lengthy life.
>      I'm toying with several different mounting methods for easy
>  replacement of the caps in the (inevitable) event of failure. I'd
>  like a (near) solderless method of mounting the individual caps.
>     I'm estimateing needing 200 or so caps.
>
>     WARNING: The surgon Generall has stated that smoking capacitors
>  can be hazardous to your health.
>

>  Christopher A. Boden
>  The Geek Group
>  344 Ionia SW
>  Grand Rapids MI
>  49503
>  (616)-574-4065
>
>  The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth!

Chris,

I did not run the math, but your coil is similar to mine.  Mine is 6.0"
diameter with 27.6" winding length wound with #22 wire.  I use a flat spiral
primary made of 14 turns of 3/8" copper tubing with 3/8" spacing between
turns.  I originally used a .025 ufd tank capacitor and it tuned when tapped
at turn 11.5 with a large toroid ( I use a 33" x 5" toroid and a 40" x 5"
toroid stacked with about a 12" spacer in between).  I now use a .05 ufd cap
and tap about turn 8.5.  I also use 5kva transformer and an async rotary gap.

If you can find one, or build one, I would probably start with a .025 to .030
cap and go from there.

Ed Sonderman