[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Caps

Scott

Sorry no-one replied, the message load on this list can be very high on some
days!

Doorknobs are ceramic capacitors too, and thus have high losses and their value
changes with temperature. They will get quite warm and thus may detune your
coil after a minute or two. High loss also tends to mean thinner, purple sparks
rather than the heavier blue/white ones that most people seem to like!

Ordinary HV ceramics (I presume you mean the disc type) may work, but you will
need quite a number of them (probably a couple of hundred at least) and they
will suffer from the same problem. You may have to find some way to cool them.

Alex